Wednesday 21 March 2007

What is a BLOG?

Don't expect anything worldshaking in my blog. When a friend suggested that I should start an own blog, I must admit I wasn't very enthusiastic about this idea. I had three question marks in my head: What really is a blog? What could I write about? Why would anyone on this world want to read my blog? So, as you see I have set up my blog, although the fear remains: I'm putting myself on public display! There's one good thing resulting even in the case of failure (meaning that really nobody wanted to read my blog), which is that I'm learning quite a lot with this blogging experience. So, here's your (and my) lesson number one:

* What is a blog?

Wikipedia states: "A blog is a user-generated website where entries are made in journal style and displayed in a reverse chronological order. Blogs often provide commentary or news on a particular subject, such as food, politics, or local news; some function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of most early blogs. Most blogs are primarily textual although some focus on photographs (photoblog), sketchblog, videos (vlog), or audio (podcasting), and are part of a wider network of social media.
The term "blog" is a portmanteau, or, in other words, a blend of the words web and log (Web log). "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog."

So, does this mean a blog is just an online diary? Well, I guess so. The description in Wikipedia also convinced me that it's not wrong or bad if I don't have anything worldshaking and superintelligent to write about. I'll just keep on writing my diary and sharing it with you :)
Dania

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dania,

Very nice job on your first blog.
Keep up the good work.

LOUI$$ said...

Hi diana, good start for you, so remember to revisit my blog and drop a comment too. I love it! :D

LOUI$$ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

Hi,

I just had to comment on your post! I started blogging three months ago. I had no idea what blogging really was, lol, and I too had thought of it as an online diary. After a few weeks I got the hang of it and wow, has it turned out to be more than I ever expected.
The name of your blog really caught my eye, great topic! Good luck with blogging and have a great day!