Saturday 24 March 2007

"Add your URL"

I actually didn't want to start annoying you with a technical lesson in my fourth post but I think it's better to get into these technical terms rather sooner than later. I read a lot of articles and blogs on internet topics and I only understand half of them! It's not that I'm stupid (may not be an Einstein either...) or that I don't understand English (okay, my German is better...), but they're just stuffed with weird abbreviations like RSS, CSS, SaaS, SERP, SEO etc. Okay, I know that learning by doing is more effective, which is one reason why I started this blog for internet dummies. But guess what? One of the first things I had to do is "add your URL". What on earth is an URL? I thought it must be an internet address because the "http://" part was already given. So far so good, I managed that. I still want to give you the technical input because I really wonder how many of you out there really know for what URL stands for?

It stands for Uniform Resource Locator... This is about how much I understand from the Wikipedia entry.
Is there anybody out there who can give me a more simple explanation? I'd be very grateful :)
Dania

4 comments:

Dave J. said...

Dania,
It is so cool that you are exploring at the same time as you are teaching. Allowing others to take part in your journey.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
URL is Uniform Resource Locator. And as you guessed right, it is a web address like http://dania-blog.blogspot.com/
However, although the term URL is most often used, the W3C uses the more general term URI.

URI, URL, it simply means, that one should always find your blog at http://dania-blog.blogspot.com/

And cool URI's don't change!
See also: http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

Now this is important, please consider it by taking some time. If I link from my blog to yours, and you change your blog address every two months or so, all my links to you are broken. So once published to the net, you should stick to it;)

Now, as you can imagine this all is a bit more complicated, but let's keep it simple.

URL or URI = the web address

PS: Have I been clear enough?

Dania said...

Hi Roger, thanks a lot, that makes sense! I'll stick to my URL because I do have some hope that one day there will be some links to my blog ;) Checked your blog and saw that you're also Swiss. It's always nice to meet neighbours in the World Wide Web.
Have a nice day, Dania

Anonymous said...

Hi Dania,
Wow, cool blog! I'm learing a lot while reading your entries and finally know what a blog is...
Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading from you :-)