Wednesday 4 April 2007

Get this widget now


Setting up a blog is similar to Jamie Oliver's cooking: get this widget over here, get that widget over there, mix it together and place it the way you like it... et voilĂ , ready is your blog! It's quite easy and still looks good.

Now what makes a widget a widget?
A widget is anything that can be embedded within a page of HTML, i.e. a web page. It adds some non-static content to that page. I guess the main characteristic making a widget a widget is the non-static content: The first widget I got was the one from MyBlogLog showing my recent readers. I'm proud to say that the content really hasn't been static since I implemented it, because more than 5 people read my blog so far. This widget has different pictures on it everyday without me doing anything - it's magic ;)

The magic works because applications can be integrated within any website by the placement of a small snippet of code. This has become a distribution or marketing channel for many companies. The code brings in ‘live’ content – advertisements, links, images – from a third party site without the web site owner having to update. Widgets can be written in HTML, but also in JavaScript, flash and other scripting languages that will be run when the page is called.

I added a new widget today, which shows the number of visitors on my blog. I hope it will be absolutely non-static and grow fast! I got it from http://www.widgetbox.com.

Although I like the idea of fun widgets on my blog, I think the comparison with cooking works again: to many ingredients can spoil the whole dish, so I'll try to select my widgets carefully!

Thanks for reading and have a great day, Dania

1 comment:

BillyWarhol said...

I love Widgets*

I think they are a very powerful & exciting visual way to get a Message out or Entertain your Blog readers*

& as U rightly pointed out the Info can change without any extra work on the Blog owners part*

Not that Flickr deserves any more props from me but it was the Flickr Flash Badge that first caught my eye almost 2 years ago & it still ranks as one of thee Coolest things I have ever seen on the Internet + Blogs + Websites in particular*

;))