Sunday 15 April 2007

HTML for beginners

Behind the fancy exterior of blogs and other websites lies the source code of the page, making it look the way it does: a simple text document written in the programming language HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language), which tells the Web browser how to display the text and images used on the page. Thanks to user-friendly blogging tools (such as WYSIWYG - What You See Is What You Get – more on this in a separate lesson) you don’t have to understand HTML in order to maintain the blog. If it was so you probably wouldn’t be reading anything from me ;)

HTML can be used to edit text, style, create lists, format your blog layout, etc. Any blog customisation will usually involve a change in the underlying HTML code.
HTML is based on tags. An open tag begins an instruction, a close tag ends it. For example putting the word “Dummy“ in between an open bold tag and a close bold tag will make the word bold on your post.

Lucky me that with Blogger I don’t need to use these tags to format the text of my posts – I just click the bold button and the bold tags are added in the background. Anyway, recently I looked at the HTML code in the background and noticed that it would be nice to at least be able to read the code a bit. Okay, I don’t want to push it too hard, but you can find some common tags in the box above in case you're interested.

I guess that’s enough for a real basic HTML lesson. If you now check your blog source code I hope you understand some of it... if you haven’t already been an HTML expert before this crash course!
Dania

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work.

Slots Secrets said...

The matchless answer ;)